What is difference between 'Coupon Code' and 'Draft Order' checkout discount methods?
In this article we will discuss about the working and limitations of both checkout discount methods known as Draft Order and Coupon Code.
Why do we need Checkout Discount methods?
When discount is applicable on an order based on matching discount rules defined in the Wholesale All In One application then order must need to process with wholesale application using one of the two methods called Draft Order discount method and Coupon Code discount method.
Draft Order [Discount method]
How does it work?
When cart items are eligible for discount based on wholesale all in one application discount rules [Screenshot], in this case order process via Draft Order discount method.
When customer click on "Check Out" [Screenshot] button from the website then application creates a Draft Order in the Shopify [Screenshot] and take the customer to the draft order checkout page [Screenshot]
Successful vs Unsuccessful Orders
1. Successful Order: If customer completes the payment process through Shopify checkout then Draft Order automatically converts to Regular Order in the Shopify dashboard.
- The store owner can see the new order in Shopify Order section instead of Draft section.
2. Unsuccessful Order: If customer leaves the website without completing the payment through Shopify checkout page then Draft Order exists in the Shopify Draft Order section.
- Optional: You can remove this incomplete Draft Order
- Optional: You can manually send an email to customer asking to complete the payment. [Screenshot]
1. Abandoned checkout email doesn't work for Draft Order method.
2. Missing "Return to Cart" link and un-clickable logo on checkout page [screenshot]. However, Customers can still go back to the cart page from browser back button. [Screenshot]
3. We can't remove Discount labels from checkout page unless you're on Shopify Plus plan [Screenshot]
4. Manage Shipping feature from the WholesaleAIO app only works with 'Draft Order' discount Method.
Coupon code [Discount method]
How does it work?
When cart items are eligible for discount based on wholesale all in one application discount rules [Screenshot], in this case order process via Coupon Code discount method.
When customer click on "Check Out" button from the website then application creates a Coupon Code equivalent to the applicable order discount in the Shopify [Screenshot] and automatically apply that Coupon Code on the customer order on checkout page. [Screenshot]
1. Per item discount can be wrong on checkout page when different discount applied on the cart items. However you will see the correct subtotal price [Screenshot]
2. We can't modify checkout to hide applied coupon code and discount labels [Screenshot]
3. Automatically generates a discount code when customer get discount on checkout page. You can find automatically generated discount codes at Shopify dashboard => Discounts.
4. Doesn't work correctly when customer adds quantity more than the available stock quantity.
5. When customer leaves the website from checkout page without placing an order, In this case customer will receive the abandoned checkout email but will not receive the discount unless he goes back to cart and proceed to checkout again.
6. Manage Shipping from the WholesaleAIO application doesn't work with Coupon Code discount method, It only works with Draft Order discount method.
How to change discount method for your website?
The checkout discount methods are located at Shopify dashboard => Apps => Wholesale All in one => Settings => Discount methods, as highlighted in the bellow image.